CORE COMPETENCE: HEALTHY PROJECTS
Based on my experience as ‘project doctor’ I have a clear approach to healthy projects:
- Establish the context – shared understanding of ambitions and drives of key stakeholders, and a shared understanding of the problem domain: these are key for decisions that people really feel committed to. A main failure reason for projects is lack of such shared understanding.
- Balance the ingredients – it’s the game of hard skills and soft skills in project management, where both documented (business case, PID, architecture, phase planning, organigram, design documents, risk logs, issue logs, etc.) and the usually undocumented (expectations, emotions, motivation, commitment, team spirit, conflict approach, flow) aspects of the project must be managed. Key words: coordinate & communicate.
- Coach the team – the vitality of a project depends on how well people are functioning; coaching will fix dysfunctional behaviour and increase knowledge and skills, for the benefit of project output, a smoother process, and personal and professional development.
- Keep the value – deliverables must be put to use in the right way, and maintained. Reviews will highlight what to improve for better results.
For all of these aspects I have the rights skills and competencies:
- Certified Senior Project Manager (IPMA-B) experienced in complex and international environments
- Certified IT auditor (CISA) and Social Accountability auditor (SA8000)
- Certified Scaled Agile Framework program consultant (SPC)
- Coach and trainer for project professionals
- Facilitator in ‘dialogue mapping’ and problem structuring
Successfully running large and international assignments in complex environments and diverse IT infrastructures, within the ‘golden triangle’ of agreed time, scope/ quality and budget. Supple coordination with key players internally and externally, managing multiple teams and suppliers, and expectation management with stakeholders and principals. Being remembered positively by colleagues and customers alike.
Author of the G:P Project Card Game © – an innovative and seriously fun tool to assess the at-risk status of your project.
CODE OF CONDUCT
As an IPMA-B certified professional, I keep to the IPMA Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct in all assignments.